SHOP THOUGHT >

DIY Homemade After Sun Lotion Recipe

DIY Homemade Natural Aftersun Lotion

We may have just launched our new Autumn Collection online at braintreeclothing.com, but with lots of us jetting off on late summer holidays and with news of an Indian summer on its way here in the UK, I thought this would be the perfect time to share with you how to make your own aftersun lotion!

Of course, the best way to prevent sunburn is to always lather on the sunscreen BEFORE you head out in the sun. But in case you forgot, or the sun was being extra tricky that day, this natural lotion packed full of rich, skin healing ingredients will nourish your sun exposed skin and help relieve your burn. This easy-to-make recipe also makes the perfect summer holiday moisturiser to rub on and soak up after a long day in the sun.

DIY Homemade Natural Aftersun Lotion

Here’s what you’ll need…

4 tsp of Aloe Vera

4 tsp of Olive Oil

1 tsp Coconut Oil

2 tsp Shea Butter

5 Drops of Lavender Essential Oil

Empty pot or bottle for storage.

DIY Homemade Natural Aftersun Lotion

This homemade lotion is filled with skin healing ingredients. Shea butter, olive oil and coconut oil are of course excellent natural moisturisers. Aloe Vera is the most common natural remedy for sunburnt skin, well-known for its healing and soothing properties and useful for helping to reduce the sting in the burn. Lavender essential oil is great for healing, cooling and soothing irritated skin… as well as smelling pretty too!

DIY Homemade Natural Aftersun Lotion

Simply measure out all of your ingredients and mix together into a thick creamy paste. Pour into an recycled jar or pot, and decorate with a ribbon, bow or label if you’re planning on giving as a gift.

DIY Homemade Natural Aftersun Lotion

And that’s it. Rub it in, soak it up, and enjoy the last of the summer sun! Store for up to one month.

DIY Homemade Natural Aftersun Lotion

Comment below to let us know how you get on!

With Love, Jo x

9 Responses to “DIY Homemade After Sun Lotion Recipe”

1. verlockend says:

Wow, that sounds great. Really nice idea for a selfmade-gift. Just maybe a little too late, as none of my friends celebrates his birthday soon. But I have to try it anyway.

2. Meg says:

Sounds really great! Simple to find ingredients too… I love natural remedies!!

One question:

Does this mixture have to be kept in the fridge? |I want to make some to take to the Caribbean with me next month and most recipes I’ve foundd have to be kept in the fridge…. ?
    Thanks!

• Btree Team says:

Hi Meg! Thank you for your comment :) This lotion doesn’t have to be stored in the fridge. I’ve just made myself another pot up to take with me on holiday next week actually! I would say that it is better kept in the fridge, but only due to the fact that is extra cooling on the skin straight from the fridge. However I’ve been storing mine at room temperature, out of direct sunlight, and it has been absolutely fine. Hope this helps and have a lovely time in the Caribbean! x

3. Sandra says:

Hi! Can I omit Shea butter? I’ve never really liked the smell of it. Thanks!

4. Emma says:

If you keep in an airless pump at room temperature you could store this for 3-4 months, where if it is in an open jar you are more likely to contaminate the aloe vera(water based) with bacteria so a preservation system is recommended(or use within a month, or scoop with a clean dry spoon) i know this because i make my own stuff for sale and i have been on testing stages for so many products . This cream is soooo good, I recommend it to everyone!

5. Angie says:

You really need to be cautioning people on making this recipe since it contains aloe and no preservative. Bacteria can grown so quick much longer than you last note indicates.

6. […] Just a little aloe vera, some olive oil, some coconut oil, some shea butter and essential oil makes one of the powerful, soothing and moisturising aftersun creams that I know of.  And it’s very easy to make.  You can find a great recipe HERE. […]

7. Annica says:

This sounds great. I would like to make som for my holiday next month. I just wondering if it must be aloe vera gel or can I use aloe vera juice?

• Jo says:

Hi Annica. Thank you for your comment. Both aloe vera gel and aloe vera juice would be beneficial in this recipe, however I would recommend using gel for its consistency. I hope this helps. Best wishes, Jo at braintreeclothing.com