Made with thought: Jo's green tea beauty DIYs
I’m a huge fan of using natural ingredients to create affordable homemade beauty treatments. I love drinking green tea, but it’s also one of my favourite beauty DIY ingredients. It’s packed full of goodness like anti-oxidants, anti-aging properties, and caffeine. Together, these work to detoxify your face, reduce redness and prevent wrinkles. Try three of my favourite green tea treatments – I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
3 Green Tea Beauty DIYS…
1 / Green tea eye treatment
No recipe needed for this beauty DIY: all you’ll need is two green tea bags and some time to lie back and relax. This simple beauty trick is perfect for reducing puffy eyes and dark circles, and will leave you feeling brighter and more awake. Here’s what to do…
1. Brew yourself a cup of green tea using two tea bags. Let the tea steep for a few minutes.
2. Remove the tea bags (you can drink the tea!) and give them a squeeze to wring out as much water as possible.
3. Place your tea bags in the fridge and allow to cool.
4. Lie back and pop the chilled tea bags over your eyes for 20 minutes or so – and relax.
2 / Coconut, cucumber & green tea moisturiser
This one is super easy to make too. Cool and refreshing, it will leave your skin feeling silky smooth.
1 green tea bag
2 inches of cucumber
4 tbsp of coconut oil
A food processor/mixer
1. Brew your green tea using 50ml of hot water. Let the tea cool, remove the tea bag, and pour the tea into your mixer.
2. Peel and chop your cucumber and add to your mixer. Blitz the cucumber and green tea together until it becomes a liquid.
3. Spoon in your coconut oil, and mix for 30-60 seconds until it forms a smooth, creamy consistency.
4. Store your mixture in an air-tight container, and keep for up to one week.
My top tip:
I find a little goes a long way with this body lotion, due to the super moisturising coconut oil, so apply small amounts at a time.
3 / Honey & lemon green tea face wash
Green tea will soothe your face and reduce redness, while the honey moisturises. The added sugar acts as an exfoliator so to help leave your face glowing and fresh.
1 green tea bag
50ml of hot water
2 tsbp of honey
2 tbsp of granulated sugar
1 tbsp of lemon juice
1. Brew your green tea and allow to completely cool.
2. Stir in the honey, lemon, and granulated sugar, and combine all the ingredients together.
3. To use, scoop out a small amount, apply to a wet face, scrubbing gently in circles. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Rinse well with warm water, pat dry and moisturise as usual.
4. Pour your remaining mixture into an air-tight jar and store in the fridge for up to a week.
My top tip:
Be patient and allow your tea to cool before adding the sugar, as you don’t want it to fully dissolve.
If you’d like to see more DIY beauty inspiration, earlier this year I shared my favourite Organic Beauty Recipes for Winter – they’re also great for refreshing spring-time skin, too.