Made With Thought: DIY Hand Scrub Recipes
The cold weather can wreak havoc on our skin, and our hands are especially prone to damage. I’ve often wondered how to maintain soft hands during these dry Winter months, and I’ve discovered that expensive hand creams aren’t the answer. Aside from being loaded with chemicals, they always ignore an important step in getting soft hands: exfoliation. I’ve tried and tested some homemade hand scrub recipes that could save you a lot of money as well as avoid toxic chemicals. These super easy natural alternatives are fun to make and are perfect for soothing dry, cracked, winter hands. Here are two of my favourite DIY hand scrub recipes. Enjoy!
Coffee & Coconut DIY Hand Scrub Recipe
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 tbsp of fresh ground coffee
- 1 tbsp of organic brown sugar
- 2 tsp of sweet almond oil
- 1 tsp of natural vitamin E
1. Mix together the brown sugar and coffee in a small bowl.
2. In another bowl, stir together the vitamin E, almond oil and coconut oil.
3. Gradually spoon in your coffee sugar mix and stir together until you have your preferred scrub consistency.
1. Place a small amount of the hand scrub (approx. one teaspoon) into your hands and work gently into your hands for up to a minute.
2. Gently wash off using warm water and pat your skin dry with a towel.
3. If you have any leftover mixture, store in an air-tight container in the fridge and keep for up to two weeks.
Lemon & Honey DIY Hand Scrub Recipe
- 2 tsp of coconut oil
- 2 tsp of raw honey
- 3 tbsp of organic sugar
- 1 tsp of fresh lemon (or orange) juice
- 1 tsp of natural vitamin E
- 5-10 drops of lavender essential oil (optional)
1. Stir together the honey and liquid coconut oil in a small bowl.
2. In another small bowl, blend the sugar and lemon juice until it becomes crumbly.
3. Pour the sugar mixture over the honey mixture and stir until smooth.
4. Grate the lemon (or orange) and mix the zest into the scrub.
5. Add 5-10 drops of lavender oil, depending on how strong you’d like the scent to be.
6. Give the mix a final stir and store in a small glass storage container. It’ll keep for up to two weeks.
1. Gently massage a teaspoon amount of homemade hand scrub into your hands for 30-60 seconds. (Don’t forget to exfoliate between your fingers!)
2. Rinse with warm water and pat dry. If your hands are extra dry, you might want to apply some more coconut oil, as an organic, natural hand moisturiser.
3. Repeat 3-4 times per week.
About the ingredients…
Coconut oil: Provides natural moisture as well as having anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. It helps soften skin so it’s ready for exfoliation.
Sugar: Excellent for exfoliating and can also be healing for the skin.
Vitamin E: Benefits the skin by helping it retain its natural moisture content.
Honey: Heals and softens skin. (Note: Substitute for extra coconut oil if you’d prefer to make it vegan.)
Lemon/Orange Juice: Brightens, softens, and is good for removing odours from your hands (like garlic/onion!)
Coffee: Known for its exfoliating and anti-inflammatory properties, it will help to soothe skin.
Almond Oil: Prevents dehydration of skin. It’s anti-inflammatory, nourishing and perfect for treating dry skin.
Lavender Oil: Soothes skin and will bring rapid healing to dry skin.