Seasonal Easter Brunch Recipes: Our Team's Favourites
This Easter Bank Holiday, why not treat yourself to something out of the ordinary? We’ve tried and tested four delicious, seasonal Easter brunch recipes that are easy to make at home.
Our Team’s Seasonal Easter Brunch Recipes
Hannah’s Avocado & Griddled Asparagus with Poached Egg on Toast
Healthy, filling and full of flavour, this avocado and asparagus Easter brunch recipe is sure to please your taste buds and is so easy to make. The zing from the lemon, saltiness from the Parmesan and fresh coriander combine fantastically to create a deliciously wholesome dish.
This recipe can easily be made vegan by removing the poached eggs and grated Parmesan. Another option is to replace the Parmesan with vegan cheese.
Serves: 2 toasts
- 2 Slices of multi-grain or gluten-free bread
- 1 avocado
- 6 stems of fresh asparagus
- 2 eggs (poached)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt divided
- A few grinds of ground pepper
- A glug of white wine vinegar
- ½ lemon (or lime) cut in half
- A pinch of fresh coriander, chopped fine
1. Mash the avocado. Add in 1/2 the juice of the lemon, coriander, salt and pepper. Mix well. Taste for seasoning adjustment.
2. Heat your griddle or pan to a medium heat and add in the extra virgin olive oil/ coconut oil. Add the asparagus into the pan and spread them around to ensure that they are fully covered in the oil. Griddle them for around 15 minutes, rolling the asparagus over at least once during cooking.
3. Meanwhile, boil some water in a saucepan (1/2 full) and add in a glug of white wine vinegar. Turn the water down to a simmer and use a spoon to stir the water in a circular motion. Gently crack the eggs into the centre of the moving water as it spins (making sure you are close to the water when you drop the egg in). Poach the eggs for 3-4 minutes.
4. Toast the bread.
5. Spread the avocado mixture over the toast, then add the hot asparagus, squeeze of lemon and some more ground pepper. Remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towels. Then add the hot egg on top of the asparagus. If desired, sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper over the assembled toast.
6. Serve immediately, while the asparagus and eggs are still warm.
Becky’s Gluten-Free Flour-less Pancakes
These are my quick, go-to, gluten-free pancakes, if I want something filling (yet tasty) to start the day. During the working week I keep mine simple without the added extras, but you can be as generous as you want with the toppings! I’ve kept mine simple with blueberries, chopped banana and a little maple syrup. Streaky bacon works really well as an added extra if you’re feeling extra indulgent this bank holiday!
Serves: 2 (makes 6 pancakes)
For the pancake mix
- 2 bananas
- 2 eggs
- 170g (1/2 cup) of oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 100g blueberries (half a small box)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (for frying)
For the topping
- A handful of blueberries per serving
- Half a banana per serving
- One tablespoon of maple syrup
1. Pop the bananas, eggs, oats and cinnamon in a blender and combine.
2. Add the whole blueberries to the mixture and stir evenly to spread them out.
3. Add the coconut oil to a frying pan on a medium to high heat.
4. Using half a ladle, spoon 3 small-ish pancakes onto the frying pan, making sure the blueberries are evenly spread out.
5. Cook for a couple of minutes, and once solid on the bottom, flip over and repeat.
6. This is one serving so you will have to do 2 rounds of this if cooking for another.
7. Serve up with the toppings of your choice and enjoy!
Emma’s Healthy Hearty Shakshuka
Emma’s a big fan of eco chef Tom Hunt’s recipes as they focus on using in-season ingredients and embrace the spirit of ‘waste-not, want-not’. His Shakshuka brings a different slant to poached eggs, making them even more delicious.
Clare’s Turkish Baked Eggs
This recipe is similar to Shakshuka, however Clare’s version was inspired by a recipe from a South London café.
You may also like reading Aimee’s vegan Rhubarb & Ginger Breakfast Muffin Recipe.