Christmas Makes: Two DIY Christmas Gifts
Why buy gifts when you can easily make your own? It’s more thoughtful and often easier on your wallet too. This week we’re sharing two easy, natural recipes; Jo’s homemade natural bath bombs and Becky’s DIY reed diffuser. Which one will you make this year?
Jo’s Homemade Natural Bath Bombs
These fizzy, DIY bath bombs are made with all-natural ingredients and take only 10 minutes to make. The baking soda and citric acid complement to create a fizzy reaction as your drop them in your bath, and the coconut oil and essential oils add a soothing, natural fragrance. Package up these DIY natural bath bombs for a lovely homemade Christmas gift.
DIY Bath Bomb Ingredients
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 2 tbsp of Espom salt
- 3 tbsp of citric acid
- 4 tbsp of baking soda (pure sodium bicarbonate)
- 10 drops of lavender oil (optional)
- Dried lavender or dried rose petals (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of water
You will also need
2 mixing bowls, a whisk and moulds.
Instructions: How to Make Homemade Natural Bath Bombs
1. Using a whisk, combine the baking soda, citric acid, and Espom salts in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the water, coconut oil and essential oil.
3. Slowly add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients mixture, adding very slowly. (You don’t want to activate the solution, so I’d recommend adding half a teaspoon at a time). Mix with a whisk until thoroughly combined.
4. Your bath bomb mixture should hold together when squeezed. If it is too crumbly, add a few drops of water, mix and repeat, until the mixture holds.
5. Fill your chosen moulds with the bath bomb mixture (I used a heart-shaped silicone mould tray). Press down with your fingers to make sure the mixture is tightly packed into the moulds.
6. Sprinkle on your dried lavender or dried petals.
7. Let them dry in the fridge for 1-2 hours before carefully removed the bath bombs.
8. Package your homemade Coconut & Lavender Bath Bombs in a mason jar and decorate with ribbon or string, as a thoughtful pamper gift for Christmas.
Becky’s DIY Cinnamon, Clove and Orange Reed Diffuser
This quick and simple homemade diffuser with natural essential oils leaves a room smelling wonderfully Christmassy. Impress your guests with this lovely natural room scent, or package them up for a unique homemade Christmas gift.
DIY Cinnamon, Clove and Orange Reed Diffuser Ingredients
- 15-20 drops of cinnamon essential oil
- 15-20 drops of orange essential oil
- 10-15 drops of clove essential oil (slightly stronger than the others)
- 2 tablespoons of alcohol (vodka preferably as it’s clear)
- 8 wooden reed sticks
- 150-200ml almond oil – also depends on the size of your glass jar
- Glass container – with a big enough top for 8 reed sticks
If packaging up for a present, you will also need
A screw top glass container that the final diffuser oil mix can be wrapped up safe (without spillage).
Instructions: How to Make the Homemade Reed Diffuser
1. Depending on the size of glass container, fill half with the almond oil (I did 150ml).
2. Add the 2 tablespoons of alcohol
3. Add the essential oils
4. Mix up, allow to rest and then add the wooden reeds
Thanks Jo and Becky!
Did you make any of our DIY Christmas gifts? Let us know how you got on in the comments below or tweet us @wearethought.
You might also love reading Jo’s DIY organic beauty recipes for winter.