In our local health food store they have just started selling hemp milk which caught me by surprise. It made me realise that all of a sudden I am seeing hemp food's everywhere now. It used to be that you could only find it in specialist stores or track it down online, but it seems that health-aware people have cottoned onto how good hemp is for you!
So in case you didn't know already, here's the low-down on hemp, including some of our favourite hemp foods and how best to use them...
Why is Hemp good for you?
- Hemp contains all twenty amino acids.
- It's full of simple proteins that fend off toxins and strengthen immunity.
- Hemp is a perfect three to one ratio of Omega-6 and Omega-3 fats.
- Considered easily digestible.
- A rich source of essential fatty acids, as well as containing vitamin E.
- Good source of phytonutrients - the disease-protective element of plants.
You can easily start introducing hemp foods products into your daily meals by using simple products like hemp seeds and hemp oil. As part of a balanced diet you can be sure that it is doing you some good.
- Have a slightly nutty taste; almost sweet
- Are great to snack on or add to your favourite salads, soups, or musueli
- Add a small sprinkling to one dish a day!
-Again has a nutty flavour
- Perfect for salad dressing
- Is better cold (if you heat it up it will lose the essential fatty acids)
- Take a teaspoon a day!
Here at Braintree, we love the Good Hemp Food products and always have a bottle of 'Good Oil' on the go at home, but you can find hemp food products in a lot of health food stores now, so don’t be afraid to try out some new ways to use hemp as part of your diet!