Whether you're heading off on holiday or planning a camping weekend near home, there's one thing you won't want to forget - insect repellent!
There are many on the market, but they often contain DEET – a harmful chemical that while keeping the bugs and flies away is also known to melt plastic. Who'd want to put that on their skin?
I like to make my own all-natural insect repellent. As with all of the homemade beauty treatments I've shared (like my Face Masks
and Foot Scrubs
), it's so easy to make. It smells amazing, too. Here's what you'll need…
25 drops of lavender essential oil
10 drops of peppermint essential oil
1 tsp of real vanilla extract
4 tsp of coconut oil
150ml of distilled water
1 large Kilner jar for storage, a spray bottle for decanting
1. In a large saucepan, gently melt the coconut oil over a low heat.
2. Add the coconut oil into the Kilner jar; drop in the essential oils, vanilla extract, water.
3. Mix together and allow to cool.
4. To use, shake well and decant into a spray bottle or apply a small handful (or more) to the skin.
5. Store the repellent in a cool space for up to one month.
Let me know how you get on if you give this recipe (or any of the others) a go - comment here or pop a post on Facebook