When it’s this wet and it’s meant to be summer, we can always bring a little summer to us. How? Make your own ice lollies, regardless of the weather!
Homemade ice lollies are a brilliant way to get an instant refreshment kick and you can buy the moulds in most supermarkets, then use them again and again. Also you know exactly what’s going into the lollies so no nasty additives or preservatives.
Here’s three of my favourite homemade ice lolly recipes, all super-tasty, really easy and two of them 100% child friendly. Enjoy!
Make your own Ice Lollies
Minty Mojito Ice Lollies
A handful of mint
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp rum
1. Cut eight thin slices of lime then juice the rest. Add the lime juice to the water and sugar and then heat for 2-3 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Keep eight mint leaves spare but steep the rest in the mix for 10 minutes.
3. Add a piece of lime and a mint leaf into each lolly mould, mix the rum into your sugar water and pour your mixture into the moulds.
4. Freeze overnight. Simple.
Recipe adapted from Bar Chick
Strawberry, Watermelon & Kiwi Ice Lollies
2 cups of watermelon, diced
1 cup of strawberries, diced
1. Juice and zest the lime. Peel the kiwi and dice.
2. Place all the ingredients in a blender and puree until completely smooth.
3. Pour the mixture into your ice lolly moulds.
4. Pop them in the freezer for at least 4 hours, or until solid.
Recipe by Super Healthy Kids
Super Orange & Mango Ice Lollies
1 large carrot
2 tbsp of coconut cream
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1. Skin and dice the mango and blend together with oranges, carrot, coconut cream and cinnamon until smooth. The coconut cream is at the top of the coconut milk can (the thicker, sometimes harder bit) It’s a great addition as it gives the lollies a creamy texture, without containing dairy.
2. Pour the mixture into ice lolly moulds and freeze overnight. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months!
: use the rest of the coconut cream and milk to make a Thai curry or dahl, or see more ideas by The Kitchn
Recipe by Madeleine Shaw
If you make your own ice lollies, why not share some snaps with us? We’re @btreeclothing on Instagram