With the British summer in full swing I look for any chance to head out and soak up the sun. However, too much sunshine can often cause skin to redden and leave it feeling dry and dull.
To help combat the summer elements, I love using natural ingredients to create affordable, homemade face masks. They’re a simple beauty trick to prevent summer skin looking so dishevelled – as well as being a great way to relax!
I’ve shared three of my favourite DIY summer face masks, which will make your skin happy and healthy and leave a fresh, lively face behind. They all take less than a few minutes to put together and can be easily made using ingredients around your home. Here they are…
Cooling Cucumber Face Mask Recipe
Cucumber is very good for skin during the Summer – in fact, it’s the main ingredient in a few of my favourite DIY’s including this DIY Cooling Cream
and Homemade Cooling Spray
. This simple homemade cucumber face mask suits all skin types, including sensitive skin. It’s really refreshing and you’ll have glowing skin in just 10 minutes.
3 inches of cucumber
3 tsps of natural yoghurt
1 tsp of aloe vera gel
1. Peel your cucumber and blend to form a purée.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the cucumber with your natural yoghurt and aloe vera.
3. Apply the mask to your face, then sit back and relax.
4. Wash off after 10-15 minutes with warm water and pat dry.
Strawberry & Honey Face Mask Recipe
Fresh strawberries are a brilliant natural ingredient to use in face masks as they're packed full of skin-enriching vitamin C. The Greek yoghurt in this recipe helps to hydrate and soothe the skin, leaving it soft and smooth. The honey will add glow! Yoghurt can also be used as an alternative sunburn remedy as it soothes the pain and reduces redness (perfect for summer).
A handful of fresh strawberries, mashed
2tsps of Greek yoghurt
2tsps of honey
1. Using a fork, mash your fresh strawberries together. I wouldn’t recommend using a blender - you want a spreadable paste not juice.
2. Combine the mashed strawberries with your Greek yoghurt and honey.
3. Using clean hands or a brush, apply the mask evenly on your face and lie down while it dries.
4. Wash off with cold water and pat your face dry.
Refreshing Green Tea Face Mask Recipe
Green tea is ideal for homemade face masks as it’s a natural UV protector, packed with minerals, nourishes skin, and can also help fight signs of ageing. The addition of lemon juice to this mask will also tighten the skin and pores, and the honey moisturises.
1 green tea bag
3 tbsps of boiled water
¼ lemon, juiced
1tsp of honey
1. Tear open your bag of green tea and in small mixing bowl, mix the leaves with the boiled water.
2. Add in the freshly squeezed lemon juice and honey and mix all the ingredients together.
3. With the help of a cotton ball pat the mask all over cleansed face. Wait few minutes for it to dry out and repeat.
4. Let it sit on your face for about 10 minutes. Then rinse it off with cool water and pat dry your face.
My top tip:
You can store extra face mask mix in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Planning to make a homemade face mask? Share your pictures on Instagram or Twitter using #madewiththought
or let me know in the comments box below – I’d love to hear from you.