Fairtrade Fortnight: Banana Bake
Fairtrade Fortnight 2014 Recipe
Sticky Toffee Banana Cake with Peanut Butter & Cream Cheese Icing
To celebrate the end of Fairtrade Fortnight, which this year is focusing on tranforming the banana industry (read more in our previous post here), we’re sharing with you our favourite banana bake. Inspired by the famous British dessert, Sticky Toffee Pudding, we’ve created a banana version, using as many Fairtrade ingredients as possible. This dense, moist cake is the perfect way to use those ripened, speckled bananas sat in your fruit bowl. Complemented with both peanut butter and cream cheese icing, each rich, caramel-y bite is simply addictive!
Ingredients for the cake
5 Fairtrade Bananas (medium sized)
150g Fairtrade Light Brown Sugar
4 tbsp of Fairtrade Golden Syrup
250g of Plain Flour
100g Unsalted Butter (plus extra for greasing)
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
A few banana chips to decorate
Ingredients for the Peanut Butter Icing
175g Fairtrade Icing Sugar
3 tbsp of Smooth Peanut Butter
50g Reduced Fat Cream Cheese (at room temperature)
50g Unsalted Butter (softened)
Ingredients for the Cream Cheese Icing
300g Fairtrade Icing Sugar (sifted)
150g Reduced Fat Cream Cheese (at room temperature)
50g Unsalted Butter (softened)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees and grease two equally sized cake tins.
2. Chop up your ripe Fairtrade bananas and blend or mash them into a banana puree.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream together your brown sugar and butter, and carefully stir in your banana puree.
3. Gradually add your beaten eggs and golden syrup to the mix.
4. Fold in your flour and baking powder.
5. Seperate your cake mix into the two greased cake tins.
6. Pop into the pre-heated oven and bake for 25-30 mins.
7. Whilst your cakes are baking, you can begin making your peanut butter cream icing. Cream together your cream cheese, butter and peanut butter until nice and creamy. Then gradually sieve in the Fairtrade icing sugar and store in the fridge once mixed.
8. In a another bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter for your cream cheese icing. Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the Fairtrade icing sugar. Store in the fridge until use.
9. Once your cakes have finished baking and have fully chilled on a wire rack, spread the peanut butter cream icing onto the top of one half of the cake and carefully place the other half on the top. Leave a little bit of the icing as ‘glue’ for the banana chip decorations.
10. Cover your cake with the cream cheese icing and chill in the fridge.
11. Finally, decorate the top of your cake with banana chips – using the remaining peanut butter cream icing to stick them on.
TOP TIP! If you’re a chocolate fan, you could try adding chocolate chips to the cake or even making it a peanut butter-chocolate-banana cake by adding a chocolate icing to the inside of the cake and using the peanut butter icing on the outside. There are loads of variations you could try… but it’s delicious as is too!
For more information on Fairtrade Fortnight, head to the official website here.