Mulled Wine Fruit Crumble
This dish is a spiced winter warmer, based on the classic dessert, an apple crumble. Poached apples and pears in red wine and mulling spices topped with a crispy crumble. A comforting dessert which you can serve with friends and family then re-heat the leftovers the next day (if you have any!).
For the mulled fruit:
3 apples, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
3 pears, peeled, cored and quartered
4 large pieces or orange peel each studded with 3 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tbsp sugar
375ml (½ bottle) red wine
250g frozen black cherries
50g mixed dried fruit
Oatly crème fraîche, to serve (dairy free ice cream would also be delicious)
For the crumble:
100g of brown sugar
100g of oats
100g vegetable oil
a pinch of salt
a handful of crushed almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Put all of the ingredients for the mulled fruit into a large ovenproof baking dish and bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together all of the crumble ingredients except the almonds, you can use your hands to ensure everything’s mixed together well.
- Once the fruit has poached in the mulled wine and softened, spread the crumble over the top and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the crumble is golden and crispy.
- Place the almonds on a baking tray in the oven 5 minutes before the crumble is ready and toast them.
- Serve warm with a dollop of Oatly crème fraîche or dairy free ice cream and sprinkle with the toasted almonds.